Monday, September 22, 2008

There is good in the World

On the way back to Utah from Reno, Jamon Stacy and I stopped at Arby's for lunch. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so i bought a $0.99 hamburger. A young couple in the back of the store turned one of the advertisements inside out and wrote "hungry! :(". I noticed it and judged them immediately.
"oh they are probably just wanting free food...they ran away from home... punk kids...wait, they could be telling the truth. either way I need to be nice. if i was hungry, i sure hope some one would help me."
I decided that I would buy them some food. Then a person from the other side of the restaurant brought them some food. What a nice guy. I don't know what religion he was, or if he even worshiped a Supreme Being. I immediately appreciated his act of service. The kid woke up and started eating immediately.

I was traveling back from Southern CA after visiting Ammon with Adam Frenza. I was cruising, about 90 mph when a semi cut me off right when i was going to pass him. I slowed down and got upset that he would do that. after 15 seconds i noticed that there was a cop on the side of the road that i couldn't see. The Semi driver knew that i would get a ticket if he didn't slow me down. That was really thoughtful.

I was traveling east on I-80 when a big rig, traveling west, flashed his lights at me. I quickly thought of all the reasons why he would flash me. my brights weren't on...I slowed down immediately and saw a cop hiding behind some trees. The Big Rig saved me.

I learned a few things from these experiences. One, there are good people in the world. Two, i shouldn't judge so quickly. That semi saved me a ticket. Three, there are good people that really want to help.

3 comments:

Tia said...

what a great reminder to not judge especially when you don't have all of the facts. That was so nice of you to help out the young couple

carrie said...

I immediately judged you Tyson by judging those people, but then I read the whole thing and then I felt bad.

Weston

Natalie in Sparks said...

Its good that you try to look for the good in people, and remind yourself not to judge. its like when The Savior said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" (at the sinful woman who came to Jesus to repent and was judged by the Pharisees). We are not perfect and we need to not only not judge others, but actually try to find the good in all people.
Thanks for posting again. you should do it more often.
At first, when you didn't post for a while, I thought that maybe you didn't have any news for the soul to share, you know, like nothing noteably good was happening around you. Then I just thought maybe you were tired of your blog, or didn't have the time for it. Anyway, take care!