Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No Gas = No Go

I was driving home when I saw a red pickup, hood up, on the side of the freeway. I stopped and asked if he needed help. As I pulled up, he was up on the landscape under a tree sitting and waiting. I asked if he needed help and he said, "I ran out of gas and I don't have a phone." I asked if anyone was coming to get him and he said no. This poor man, about 50, was just waiting for something to happen. He had no plan in action other than hoping that someone would stop. I told him to hop in my jeep and we will go get some gas. He was scared to leave his vehicle because it could get impounded; it happened to him last time. So off I went to the nearest gas station and I brought back some gas. He paid for the gas and container and he offered me more money which I declined. He misread his gas meter and odometer thinking he had more gas than he did. He only had 1.5 miles to go.

"My brothers and sisters, we are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness—be they family members, friends, acquaintances, or strangers. We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children. He is dependent upon each of us." President Thomas S Monson What Have I Done for Someone Today?

2 comments:

Jamon said...

Great example Tyson, it is sad to think of what would have happened if you hadn't stopped. It certainly motivates me to be more proactive in stopping to see if people are all right. Unfortunately I think everyone assumes everyone else has a cell phone and can call for help; therefore excusing us from offering help.

Ammon said...

Wow way to go Tyson.

Stopping and helping people is super rewarding in situations like these.

Driving to Utah from Idaho two summers ago, a truck was on the side of the road. Car problems. I gave him a ride until the next gas station where there also was a mechanic. I dropped him off and was off again. It was a detour of about 15 minutes but i really helped him out.

last month going to school i saw a motorcycle crash into a curb in the parking lot. he didn't hit any body or cause injury or damage to other people at all. a scooter next to him quickly stopped and asked if he was ok but very quickly got back on his scooter, parked, and ran to class. i saw this and went over to him to see if he was alright. He did not what happened. He said it felt like his front tire hit something that made his handle bars turn suddenly. Weird huh? anyway, he was a little scraped up and his bike had some good scratches but i talked with him as long as he needed. Then he got back on his bike, i watched for anything unusual, and we both went to class late. Being late didn't affect me at all because i knew he needed me. I figure if i got in a wreck in the parking lot with my scooter or car, i would want someone to stop and talk to me until he/she knew i was ok.

another example about 2 months ago. One way to school i saw a car crash into another. No one stopped or anything. they were too worried to get to school/work. I stopped and ran over to the girl in the one car (whose fault it was). I stopped for moral support. She was shooken up pretty bad, but not injured. I spoke with her and calmed her down. I actually kept thinking to myself "be as kind as you can." The other person was also ok. neither person was angry, at least what they were showing. The girl had never gotten in a car accident before. I figured it would be nice if someone stopped and just spoke to me kindly if i got in a wreck. She seemed to appreciate it. She gave me a warm thank you as i left and went to class, late.

These types of services are most rewarding. They never take long, 5-10 minutes, but they make you feel the best. Maybe because they are unplanned.